Two types of Canvas templates with essential course elements are designed to meet various teaching goals. Faculty can easily import one of these Canvas templates to their Canvas space and set up their Canvas course site efficiently. Importing a template into a Canvas space will not erase the content that already exists in that space. Faculty also have full-authorization to revise the course elements after the template is imported successfully.
The Canvas Module-Based Template:
This template is designed for faculty who desire to develop a “Canvas Module” based course, which provides students a linear study-roadmap to participate in assigned learning activities in sequence. The benefit of this template is that the faculty can quickly set up a Canvas space by adding and organizing the learning content and assignments by either the module topics or the academic weeks.
The Canvas Page-Based Template:
This template is designed for faculty who want to develop a “Canvas Page” based course. A page-based design utilizes customized weekly pages to display weekly learning content and activities. The benefit of this template is that faculty are able to fully customize how the weekly content and activities are introduced to students. The Rich Content Editor provides an easy way for faculty to develop a web page that incorporates various content (e.g. video, image, text, links, and files) in one place. The HTML editor is also available for advanced users to develop the page by modifying the HTML code.
Instructions for Importing a Canvas Template to a Canvas Space
- Download a suitable Canvas template Export File. The file is in the .imscc format.
- Request a Canvas space from the EEE Grandcentral or create a Canvas sandbox space.
- Enter the Canvas course and click on the “Settings” link on the left side menu. Then, click on the “Import Course Content” link on the right side menu.
- Select “Canvas Course Export Package” option in the drop down menu. Then, browse the .imscc file that you downloaded in step 1.
- Choose “ All Content”, and click on the “Import” blue button. The process may take a few minutes to complete.
Home Page Designs
These templates contain two different home page designs. To view the different home page designs go the "Pages" section of the template and click on "View All Pages." Home page designs are indicated with a house icon. To set a Canvas page to be your course home page you must first set the page to be your "front page." Then you must set the front page to be your home page. If you are using the Canvas syllabus page as your home page, you can copy and paste the home page design into your Canvas syllabus page.
To learn more about how to take the benefit of these Canvas templates and enhance remote teaching, please watch the following training webinars for details.
- Keep the pedagogical mindset when setting up a course with a Canvas template (March 26, 2020)
- Canvas 101: Designing a remote course with a Canvas Template (May 26, 2020)
- Setting up a remote course with a Canvas template (June 16, 2020)